If you are looking for general information on what this site does and the information on it, please see our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Terms and conditions for access, use and contribution to Battle to Farm
- These terms and conditions apply to the access, use of, and contributions to Battle to Farm. By using Battle to Farm you agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions.
Objectives of Battle to Farm
- Battle to Farm is a service provided by Public Record Office Victoria to allow users to access and contribute information about research and sources relating to the Victorian soldier settlement scheme. Members of the public may contribute comments, transcriptions, photographs and other content relating to records held by Public Record Office Victoria in accordance with these terms and conditions of use.
Contributions to Battle to Farm
- By contributing text or photographs to Battle to Farm you agree to grant a non-exclusive worldwide, perpetual, transferable, royalty-free license to Public Record Office Victoria to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, distribute, publish and otherwise use your contribution.
- Public Record Office Victoria also grant the foregoing licence to its partners and other users of Battle to Farm. You therefore accept that other users may edit, alter or remove your contribution in accordance with the terms and conditions of Battle to Farm. If you do not want your contribution to be used in this way, please do not submit it to Battle to Farm.
- By contributing text or images or any other content to Battle to Farm you warrant that such content is your own original work or your use is permitted under the Copyright Act 1968. You also warrant that the content is not scandalous, obscene, libelous, in breach of any intellectual property rights, is not otherwise contrary to law, and does not condone or encourage unlawful activity.
- Without prejudice to clauses 3 – 5, any contributions to Battle to Farm made by Public Record Office Victoria staff pursuant to their employment as Victorian public servants are held as Crown copyright by the State of Victoria.
- Any contributions to Battle to Farm must not reveal information to which an exemption under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic) may apply, or which is in breach of the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic), the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic) or the Public Records Act 1973 (Vic).
Reuse of user contributions
- In exercising its rights under the foregoing licence Public Record Office Victoria will use reasonable endeavours to attribute you for this content in accordance with the user name provided. Should you wish to be attributed differently, you should contact Public Record Office Victoria with your request. Notwithstanding the above, Public Record Office Victoria do not warrant that it will attribute your work when exercising its rights under the foregoing licence.
- Where contributions to Battle to Farm are used in any other work, you must use reasonable endeavours to attribute the original author where that information has been provided.
- You must provide us with your real name and a valid email address as part of the registration process. You must select a unique user name and must not appear to impersonate someone else. Public Record Office Victoria will not make your email address publicly available, and will not publish your real name unless you make it your user name as well.
- You must not use multiple logins. Use of multiple logins may result in the suspension of your account.
- You should select a password which is known only to you and not share it with anyone else.
- Contributions should be factual and descriptive. You must not submit contributions, or provide edits to other contributions, which:
- Are considered likely to offend, provoke, or attack other users of Battle to Farm or staff of Public Record Office Victoria
- Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive, contain swear words, or are otherwise objectionable or in breach of the Equal Opportunity Act 1995 (Vic) or the Charter of Human Rights 2006 (Vic)
- Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
- Contain content which could cause damage to a computer, software program, network or server
- Supply information which reveals identifying information about yourself or anyone else, including individuals’ phone numbers, addresses or email addresses
- Are exact or close copies of entries already contributed to Battle to Farm, considered to be spam or commercial unsolicited advertising or promotion not connected to the public record described
- Are considered to be not within the purpose of Battle to Farm as defined in paragraph 2 of these terms and conditions
- Contain links to other websites which do not contribute to the purposes of Battle to Farm.
- If you submit an entry in a language other than English, you are required to also submit an English language translation, to allow moderation to occur.
- You must abide by the intellectual property policies and licences issued by Public Record Office Victoria governing records in the collection and Crown copyright material, available on the Public Record Office Victoria website.
- Public Record Office Victoria reserves the right to remove or modify, at its discretion, all or part of user content which may be in breach of this user agreement or are otherwise objectionable or actionable at law.
- You may notify Public Record Office Victoria of any content on Battle to Farm that you consider offensive or a breach of the terms and conditions. Public Record Office Victoria will use reasonable endeavours to investigate and respond to your notification.
- If you breach these terms and conditions of use, Public Record Office Victoria may suspend your account either temporarily or permanently. If you feel your suspension is in error, please contact Public Record Office Victoria.
Limitation of liability
- Public Record Office Victoria will use reasonable endeavours to hold, retain and protect user contributions but do not warrant against loss of user contributions. We suggest you keep a copy of your own contributions.
- Public Record Office Victoria does not support or endorse of any opinion or representation found on Battle to Farm and cannot vouch for the accuracy of information published on Battle to Farm.
- Public Record Office Victoria cannot endorse the contents of websites hyperlinked to and from Battle to Farm.
- Public Record Office Victoria is not responsible for any actions, claims, proceedings, or liabilities arising out of your use of Battle to Farm. You are responsible for all statements made by you, and for acts that occur through the use of your username and password.
- Battle to Farm and this user agreement are governed by the laws of the State of Victoria, Australia.